This year, I decided to be something that is near and dear to my heart, something that is a constant in my life… and that is a Chipotle bowl. I had not seen a single Chipotle bowl costume before so I had to think hard about how this would work. I didn’t even know if it would work but I was very pleased with how it turned out! I actually showed a picture of the costume to an employee at Chipotle today and they gave us our entire meal for free!
How to make a Chipotle Bowl Costume
What you’ll need:
Newsprint Paper, Flour, and Water = Paper Mache materials
Green Tissue Paper (for the lettuce)
Foam cubes (for the tomatoes)
Yellow Paper Crinkles (for the cheese)
Foil (if you want a fork)
1. Blow up the 36” balloon.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour and water together to make a thick paper mache mixture. Dip a strip of the newsprint paper (which you can find at the craft store) in the mixture and start applying on half of the balloon. Leave an opening at the bottom where your legs will go and you will want to have about 4 layers of paper at the end. For mine, it took a day to dry. Once dry, pop the balloon.
3. Cut a piece of cardboard shaped like the front of the “bowl” (similar to a crescent moon shape) and this will be the platform for all of the lettuce, cheese, and tomatoes.
4. Ball each piece of green tissue paper up so that it has a lot of wrinkles and gently unwrinkle it to make it look like lettuce. Glue each piece of tissue paper to the top of the cardboard.
5. Paint a few foam blocks (or really anything small and block-shaped) red and let dry. Glue those on top of the lettuce. Once this is done, glue the big piece of cardboard on top of the bowl.
6. Sprinkle some yellow paper crinkles on top of the bowl to add some cheese.
7. Glue a piece of ribbon on the back sides of the bowl to make the straps.
8. Print a Chipotle logo out to glue on the front of the bowl.
Extra: You can glue a piece of the green tissue paper to a headband to add some cuteness to the costume. If you want to add a fork, cut a piece of cardboard out the shape of the end of a fork and wrap foil around it. Glue the fork to the back of the bowl.
That’s all! This costume was fairly simple. It did get quite messy when trying to do the paper mache part but it was worth it. Let me know in the comments if you have any questions at all!